Overview – Currently accepting applicants for 2014/15 school year with birthdays through 10/31/2008!
Our Kindergarten program emphasizes reading, writing, math, science, computers, and social studies. It is also the time when we focus on responsibility. Children will have usually turned five before entering the program although some may turn five shortly after starting.
Kindergartners have the most structured routine of all the age groups in the school. The children work on projects, read books, listen to stories, complete worksheets and collaborate on assignments in each of the subject areas listed above. Instead of taking a nap, children have a quite time where they can participate in a activity of their choice; many choose to read a book or work on an art project at their desk.
The materials and lessons for the class are mostly provided by the A Beka curriculum and Zoophonics, however the teacher will supplement or adapt the lessons based on the needs and abilities of the students. We find that children who have attended First Steps Academy for a couple years, tend to be at least one year ahead of similar aged children by the time they leave us to enter the public schools in the area.
Students participate in the following weekly specialty classes:
Kindergarten is the first classroom where the children have their own desks and keep track of their own supplies. They also have responsibility for caring for our school pet, Hop, by cleaning his cage each week and they are proud to fulfill the duties of their weekly assigned jobs (door holder, weather helper, line leader, etc…)
Kindergartners also participate in weekly field trips to Sunrise Senior Living and go on monthly field trips to places like the Natural History Museum, Cox Farm and local playgrounds. For a longer list of places we enjoy visiting, consult our field trips page.
A typical day in the life of a Kindergartner:
|6:30am – 9:00am||Drop-off||1:00pm – 2:30pm||Afternoon Academics|
|8:30am – 9:00am||Breakfast||2:30pm – 3:00pm||Recess|
|9:00am – 11:00am||Morning Academics||3:00pm – 3:30pm||Afternoon Snack|
|11:30pm – 12:00pm||Recess||3:30pm – 6:15pm||Afternoon Activities|
|12:00pm – 12:30pm||Lunch||5:00pm – 5:15pm||Evening Snack|
|12:30pm – 1:00pm||Quiet Time||3:00pm – 6:15pm||Pick-Up|
We recognize the great trust it requires to place your child in the care of another person. To help provide your family the best possible experience:
- Weekly Reports – generated by the teacher, to give you an overview of how your child has excelled both academically and behaviorally in the past week, including ways you can help at home.
- Shutterfly – a weekly overview of the activities and focus of the classroom during the past week and reminders for the next week.
- The classrooms are equipped with telephones allowing you to connect directly with your teacher.
- Medical issues and significant changes in mood are responded to with prompt phone calls to you, so you can make a decision based on the most immediate information available.
- There is a lead-qualified teacher in each of our classrooms. These teachers have either a bachelor’s degree in a child related field, a CDA or equivalent.
- Each classroom is assisted by a teacher assistant who works alongside the teacher in providing for your child.
- We look for teachers that have that special blend of attention to detail and love of children.
- And finally, we look for teachers that we would want our daughter to be safe with, learn from, and loved deeply.